Saturday, July 2, 2011

Food For Thought on Keystone XL

When it comes to the Keystone XL, I'm not against the pipeline in principle.  While I don't see tar sands as any kind of magic elixir as far as lowering the price we pay at the pump, it's another supply of oil in what is a finite resource.  There is some value in it until we hopefully move on to something better.  So I don't have a problem with the pipeline itself.  What I do have a problem with is the location of the pipeline.  It's beyond stupid to build it over our state's largest supply of both drinking water and water for agriculture.  And if you don't believe me, well, take a look at this article regarding a recent spill of oil into the Yellowstone River.  A half-hour of spilling and we've got oil washing up off the banks of the river.  A half-hour.  So if this planned pipeline does get built over the Ogallala Aquifer, well, better stock up on the Evian and Aquafina.  There's really not much more to say about it.  I realize it's not as simple as drawing up a new blueprint and calling it good, but logically, it's the only way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment