Thursday, June 2, 2011

In My Lifetime..... A 100-Year Flood

Isn't it kind of funny that you hear talk about 100-year and 500-year floods when it comes to emergency preparedness for nuclear power stations, and you kind of think "gee, we're in good shape, that won't happen in my lifetime- stick it grandkids!!!"  And yet, here we are.

For those who missed it, the World-Herald ran a somewhat chilling photo today on the front cover showing the waters of the Missouri approaching the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power station.  Chances are, we're going to be in good shape.  While this could potentially be a serious issue, I do have faith in OPPD to prevent a disaster and protect it's shareholders- us.  That said, it does raise questions- again- about the safety and sanity of nuclear power as it is currently constructed (no, currently was not an intended pun).  Of course, I've made it clear that I'm all about the solar and wind, but I'm not naive enough to think we can simply flick a switch and move on.  The simple fact is that if we want to continue to sustain our standard of living at this time, we're in bed with nuclear.  

One thing that nuclear power can point to in this country- with no shortage of pride- is that there have been only three deaths in this country as a direct result of nuclear power, and that was more than likely from a chilling murder-suicide.  And they would be 100% right to do it.  That said, we're seeing in Japan what happens when these things go bad.  I just hope that my trust in OPPD is not misplaced and that the safety measures that have been put in place will protect all of us in the event of a worst-case scenario.  Obviously a flood that can be predicted to a degree differs quite a bit from a tsunami that gives hours of notice in a best-case scenario, so I don't think we have anything to fear, other than the potential of a higher electric bill if they aren't able to get the plant back online (it is down for planned maintenance at the present time).  I will be following events here to the best of my ability in the event of anything unexpected.  It should also be mentioned that the nuclear station in Brownsville will likely be in the path of the flood as well, and they've faced more serious safety issues during exams that Fort Calhoun.

I'd also like to take a quick second and offer my condolences to anyone who is faced with losing or leaving their home right now.  I'll be hoping for the best as we deal with this so-called 100-year event.

No comments:

Post a Comment