Friday, June 17, 2011

My First Werner Park Experience

So I went to the Omaha Storm Chasers game on Thursday at the new Werner Park in Papillion. At least I think it was still Thursday when I got to the game, I cannot be sure. I’d been looking forward to catching a Storm Chasers game all spring not only to see the new park but to scout two of the Royals’ top young prospects, first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas. Unfortunately due to lingering cold weather and early calls from Kansas City I missed both of those prospects. Needless to say the opportunity to see longtime major league journeyman Jeff Suppan start the game did not assuage my disappointment though the Storm Chasers do retain a few other solid young prospects. Anyway, I thought I would review my experience with the hopes that others can avoid the same pitfalls I fell into.

I’ll begin at the point when a friend of mine picked me up after work and we headed out to the game. After taking a left off 144th street onto Highway 370 an ominous sight appeared before our eyes, a line of cars without an end to be seen. To be fair to the Storm Chasers it was 6:50 at that point so we were running a bit late for a 7:05 first pitch, but I never would’ve expected to be in a line of cars for something like 45 minutes and after that length of time we still hadn’t even made it to the parking lot. We were only some ten cars back when a Storm Chasers employee came walking by to tell everybody that the lots were full and we would have to go to Papillion – La Vista South down the street and catch a shuttle if we wanted to get to the game. A friend of ours who managed to get to the game a little bit earlier than us had already bought us tickets so we figured we would go down and catch the shuttle while wondering if it would even be worth it. After waiting with a few hundred other people we were able to catch the third shuttle (which was a 64 passenger school bus) and get to the game at the bottom of the 3rd inning.

After having missed a third of the game, we took advantage of it being Thirsty Thursday and got a couple of $1 beers and walked out to the berm to stand as we were unable to secure box seats. It was difficult following the game that far from the action, but we made due until the bottom of the fifth. At that point, we wanted to grab a couple more $1 beers because for whatever reason they stop selling them before the 6th inning even though alcohol sells don’t stop until the 7th. Of course while waiting in line the 5th inning ended so they immediately cut off the $1 beer sells and I had to drop $12 on two Bud Lights instead. I thought it would have been gracious of them to extend the $1 beer sells since they knew a lot of fans made it to the game late, but I guess that didn’t cross their minds. The one highlight of my attempt to get inebriated was the cool Bottoms Up beer dispenser which I had seen on TV but had never seen in real life. Soon after that the game ended and we headed home after bumming a ride back to the school rather than having to wait for the bus.

So, while my first experience at Werner Park was a bit of a disaster, I don’t want to be too negative towards the Storm Chasers here. I’m sure they’re still working out some of the kinks during the inaugural season of the new stadium. One thing I thought would have been better is if they could have started sending cars far back in line to Papillion - La Vista South earlier instead of waiting until the lots were completely full. I also wonder with all that land around the stadium why they couldn’t buy some land to put in a cheap gravel lot to cover the busier days. With all that land around them it doesn’t seem like they should ever run out of parking. All of that being said the stadium was really nice. The concourses were pretty cool and there were plenty of places to buy food and drinks. There is definitely plenty for the kids to do if you have a family. I was surprised at how small the stadium looked from my vantage point standing out in the berm, but supposedly that’s the way to go for a minor league stadium. I think overall this is a worthwhile addition to the area and I will certainly make it out there a few times a year.

So to sum up, if the weather is great and you decide to try and catch a game at the last minute, especially if it is a Thirsty Thursday, I would recommend clicking on the TV and watching a ballgame at home instead. If you’re determined to go, leave early. If you find yourself way back in line you might be better off just driving straight to Papillion-La Vista South so you can catch the first shuttle. You might try 114th street instead of getting on Highway 370 from 144th like we did but I can’t be sure on that. If anybody has any other tips feel free to leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment